American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification
- Recertification Class: $150
- Full Certification Class: $300
- Lifeguard Hip-pack: $20
Students must pass a pre-course physical test (provided by Cabot Parks & Recreation) and be at least 15 years of age in order to take the class. A lifeguard hip-pack that includes a (CPR mask and whistle) must also be purchased for the class.
Participants can register online or in person the Community Center.
Upcoming Certification Classes
February 25 - 27
March 18 - 20
April 1 - 3
May 6 - 8
May 13 - 15
May 31 - June 2
**All Classes will be held on Friday evening, all day Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Click here to view a more detailed schedule.
The majority of the course will be completed at the Cabot Parks and Recreation Department, but several hours will be spent at Jacksonville's facility to work on deep water skills. Upon signing up for the course you will receive an itinerary describing where we will be meeting for each class session.
Cabot Parks and Recreation Department: 508 N Lincoln St, Cabot, AR 72023
Jacksonville Community Center: 5 Municipal Dr, Jacksonville, AR 72076
Lifeguarding- HSSAQU402 r.2017
This blended learning course includes an online portion and an instructor-led classroom skills session. The online portion must be completed before attending the in-class portion. Most learners complete the online portion is approximately 7 hours. However, your experience may vary widely based on several factors including your PC, internet speed, and previous training. I recommend beginning the online session as soon as possible to ensure you have completed it before the in-person skill session. The online portion must be taken on a PC or tablet with a high-speed Internet connection (see below for the complete set of PC/tablet requirements for this online course).
On the first day of class you will need to complete the following 3 pre-requisite skills:
- Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds: o Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed. o Surface dive, feet-first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. o Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they can get a breath. o Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
The majority of this course will be held at Cabot Parks and Recreation. However, to complete the deep water skills, we will need to spend time at another location. Students will need to plan for transportation between locations.
A more detailed itinerary will be sent out detailing where we will meet and for how long on each day.
You may purchase a Hip-pack when you register for $20. (This includes a CPR mask and whistle.)
Please be prepared to provide your instructor with proof that you completed the online portion using one of the following methods:
- Print your online course completion record available at the end of the course and show it to your instructor – it will read “Proceed to Skill Session”
- Show your instructor the email you received confirming completion of the online portion
- Log in to the online portion and show your instructor the completion status that appears above the “Launch Course” button
Blended Learning Links
- If you do not currently have a Red Cross Learning account, then you will need to create one prior to gaining access to the course content.